Monday, February 15, 2010

I Survived the Texas blizzard!!


Ah Mondays...
Hello blog buds!
We are pretty lucky here in Texas to survive that massive blizzard we had last week. A whole 6 inches of snow-- very rare that us Texans see that kind of weather! But as much fun as it was to make snow angels and have a snow ball fight with my 5 lb yorkie (I won) Mondays always find a way to sneak their way into a great weekend.
Today was somewhat more intense than my usual schedule of 9-4:30 job then school right after that until 10. M Designs has a pretty large installation on Monday for a client. This is my first project that I've been there from the beginning to the end. I have dabbled in the process of picking items out for the client and saw what really goes on, stuff they don't teach you in school, and I have dealt with different vendors until I had a migraine.
Some GREAT advice that Denise McGaha (owner of and designer for M Designs) gave to me was FOLLOW UP, FOLLOW UP, FOLLOW UP!!! I cannot stress that enough for my friends who are in school and have yet to find a design job. Although most of the clients items will be here for installation, there are a few things that are straggling behind. I have had endless conversations with vendors telling me I will have an item on time and come to find out its actually backordered a week or two past installation-- my first thought is "if our rep knows its back ordered, shouldnt he/she contact me and let me know??" ... nope..I have to hold their hand and make sure I follow up!! Baby steps... I learn something new every day thanks to Denise McGaha, Alicia Segal, & Valerie Ventura of M Designs.
School was also pretty interesting.. My professor is obsessed with Hanson and The Hills.. he is a boy and in his 40's, its interesting. OH and he likes to sing like Michael Jackson. Ah, what an interesting guy.
Well I think that is all for the evening. It about to be eleven and I have to get ready for bed, then work and school tomorrow :))

More to come...

J.Aparicio

No comments:

Post a Comment